Rose Cookies (Achappam)
Rose Cookies are the traditional Christmas snack from the state of Kerala. The Malayalam name for this is Achappam. "Achu" means mould & appam means anything made out of a batter. These cookies are very similar to the Rosettes of Scandinavian origin made in Sweden. The Rosettes are also traditionally made during Christmastime. Just like the European deep fried pastry, the Kerala rose cookies or Achappams are also made from intricately designed moulds. The moulds are dipped in a rice batter & then deep fried in hot oil. TIPS: The mould should be moderately hot before dipping in the batter. If it is not hot enough, it will not stick to the batter & if it is too hot, it will not slide off easily. It is a little tricky, but with practice becomes easy. Another thing to bear in mind is to shake off the excess oil on the mould before you dip it in the batter. It is also a good idea to work on a little batter at a time. Pour about 1/4 of the batter into a smaller bowl and make the rose cookies. That way if the oil is too hot you can switch it off in between.
Published Dec 17, 2013
- 2 cups Raw rice flour
- - pinch of Salt
- 2 Tsp. Cumin seeds
- 2 Tsp. Sesame seeds
- 2 Eggs
- 1/2 Cup Sugar
- 2 to 2&1/2 cups Coconut milk (as needed)
- - Oil for deep frying
- Sift flour & salt into a large bowl. Beat the eggs in a small bowl.
- Add enough coconut milk to the flour & make a thick batter. Add the beaten eggs, cumin, sesame seeds & sugar to taste. Mix well. The batter formed now should be a pancake/dosa consistency. Keep aside covered for 30 minutes.
- Heat oil in a pan & keep the mould in the pan for heating. (See tip above).
- Take about one-fourth of the batter in a small bowl.
- Once the oil is heated, dip the mould in the batter about 3/4 (do not immerse it fully) & then re immerse into the oil. It will create a crisp shell on the edges of the mould. Leave it in the oil for about 10 seconds (you can count to 10 in your mind) & then give it a gentle shake. The cookie should easily sludge off the mould. If not, use a small fork to untangle it from the edges of the mould. Fry on medium until golden brown. Repeat the procedure for the remaining rose cookies (Achappams).
- Cool & store rose cookies in an airtight jar container. Stays fresh for up to 2 weeks. Enjoy!
Yield About 50 cookies
Preparation Time is approximately 45 minutes.
Cooking Time is approximately 45 minutes.