Appetizers & Snacks Samosas with potato & peas filling
Samosas with potatoes & peas filling
Here's is a tasty recipe for the all time favorite Indian appetizer - the vegetable samosas :)
Published Aug 20, 2013
- FOR THE COVERING:
- 2 cups all purpose flour (maida)
- 3/4 cups semolina
- 3 tbsp. ghee
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. ajwain (carom seeds)
- FOR THE FILLING:
- 5 potatoes
- 1/2 cup peas
- 1/2 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. oil
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. turmeric
- 1/2 tsp. chilli pd.
- 1 tsp. coriander pd.
- 1/2 tsp. amchur (dry mango pd.)
- - pinch of asafoetida (hing)
- 1/2 tsp. garam masala
- 1/2 tsp. fresh ginger, finely chopped
- 1 green chilli, finely chopped
- 1 small bunch coriander leaves, finely chopped
- 1/2 lemon (juice)
- Make soft dough using flour, semolina, salt, ghee & a little water.
- Keep it covered for about 30 minutes.
- Boil potatoes. Peel & mash when a little cool.
- Heat 1 tsp. of oil in a pan, add cumin, green chillies, ginger. Saute & then add in the mashed potatoes & frozen peas. Add in the spices and salt to taste. Mix well for about 2 to 3 minutes and close off the heat. Cool filling.
- To make samosas, take a lemon sized ball of the dough, lay it on a flat surface & with the help of a rolling pin, roll it out into a slightly oval shape about 5 to 6 inches. (Watch video below on link)
- Cut this into two semi oval shapes.
- Now smear a little water along the straight line of the semi circle & fold this into a cone shape.
- Next, fill this cone with a little potato filling & then fold the edges smearing a little water along the edges.
- Make as many samosas as you wish with the remaining dough & filling as desired.
- When ready to make samosa, take oil in a wok or deep frying pan & heat over medium heat.
- Now, fry the samosas, a few at a time in medium hot oil for a few minutes until golden brown.
- Serve hot with mint chutney or ketchup or any condiment of your choice.
Click here for link to video!