Vegetable Spring Rolls
Vegetable Spring Rolls are one appetizer which is equally liked by all in our family & also a must to order when we go out to eat. Here is a pretty simple recipe for making these delicious Asian appetizer at home, made easier with ready made spring roll pastry readily available at most groceries in the freezer section.
Published Aug 20, 2013
- 1 cup Cabbage, cut into thin shreds
- 1 Carrot cut into thin slices
- 1 Red bell pepper
- 1 Yellow bell pepper
- 1 Green bell pepper
- 1 Onion
- 2 Sprigs Green onions
- 1 Tbsp. Cilantro
- 1/4 Tsp. Salt
- 1 Tsp. Soy sauce
- 1 Tsp. Chilli sauce
- 1/4 Tsp. Black pepper pd.
- 1 Tbsp. Cornstarch or
- 1 Egg white
- 25 Spring roll pastry shells
- - Oil for deep frying
- Shred cabbage into thin slices. Finely chop bell peppers, onion, carrot & green onions.
- Heat about 1 tsp. oil in a frying pan & add all the vegetables. Sauté for a couple of minutes, add salt, soy sauce, chilli sauce & pepper to taste. Do not over cook. Remove from heat & mix in if finely chopped cilantro.
- Mix a little cornstarch in little water & keep aside. If using egg white, take it in a small bowl & keep aside.
- To make spring rolls, take one spring roll pastry/wrapper and lay it diagonal on a board (see picture). Now take some filling & put it on one corner. From that end, make a tight roll upwards until you reach almost the top half of the pastry (see picture). Now apply some cornstarch paste/egg white on the sides & bring both the sides together like folding into an envelope (see picture). Next, keep rolling until the end. Make sure that the edges are well sealed with cornstarch paste/egg white. Your spring roll is now ready. Make the rest of the spring rolls & keep them on a plate.
- Heat oil in a wok & fry the spring rolls on medium heat a few at a time until crispy & golden brown. Serve with plum sauce.
Yield 25 spring rolls
Preparation Time is approximately 45 hours.
Cooking Time is approximately 15 minutes.