The other day I had some panner in the fridge & I was wondering what to make. The usual paneer saag/palak, mutter paneer came to mind but then I decided why not pair it with some potatoes (a vegetable always available in the pantry). Fond memories of a dish that I once had at a Punjabi friend's home came to mind. And here is what I did. Try it...it tastes wonderful with some soft rotis, naan or parathas.
Vegetarian Main Course
Published Sep 25, 2013
- 450 gms. Paneer
- 2 Medium Potatoes
- 1 Big Onion
- 2 Tomatoes
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2 tsp. fresh ginger, finely chopped
- 2 green chillies
- 2 tbsp. fresh cilantro/coriander leaves for garnish
- 2 tsp. ghee or oil
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. chilli pd.
- 1/2 tsp. turmeric
- 1/2 tsp. cumin pd.
- 1 tsp. coriander pd.
- 1 tsp. garam masala
- 1/2 cup yogurt
- Cut paneer into 2 inch cubes & keep aside. Peel, wash & cut potatoes into 2 inch cubes and keep them in a bowl of water. Dice onion and tomatoes. Chop green chillies very fine and chop coriander.
- Heat a non stick pan, add half the ghee/oil & fry the potatoes until a little browned on all sides. Take it out in a plate & keep aside. In the same pan, add the rest of the ghee and fry paneer cubes until browned evenly on all side. Take out the paneer into a plate.
- Toss the onion in the same pan for a few minutes until translucent and the raw smell of onion evaporates. Add the ginger & garlic. Let it cook for a minute & then take it all out into a blender.
- Add tomato pieces & blend this mixture adding about 1/2 cup of water.
- Add the fried potaoes into the pan, cover the pan & cook for a few minutes until a little tender, then add the onion paste, mix well & cook some more.Add salt, chilli pd., cumin, coriander pd. and garam masala. Add a little more water if needed. When the potatoes are almost cooked, add the yogurt and green chillies, cover the pan & let it simmer further for 5 minutes on medium heat.
- Once the potatoes are fully cooked, add the fried paneer cubes into the dish and mix well. Let it simmer again for a few minutes. Then garnish with fresh cilantro. Serve with any kind of bread or rice.
Preparation Time is approximately 20 minutes.
Cooking Time is approximately 20 minutes.