Dudhi dhokli nu shaak (bottle gourd-chickpea flour dumplings in tomato-yogurt gravy)
Dhokli nu shaak is a spicy recipe from the Kathiawad or Kathiawar region of Gujarat. While Gujarati recipes are often sweet & tangy, in Kathiawadi cuisine, there is a generous dose of spice. In the olden times, because of the dry weather conditions, there were not many green leafy vegetables grown in the region. The main crops were peanuts/groundnuts, sesame, sugarcane, wheat & millets. Pickles, onions & garlic are a prominent feature of the food especially among the Darbari communities. The two main communities of this region are the Kathi & Ahirs, therefore the name of the region Kathiawar. Growing up in Rajkot which is the capital of Kathiawar, the dhokli nu shaak was one dish which our friendly neighbour, Jadeja aunty often used to make, sometimes we even used to request her to make some for us. This is an adapted version of that recipe.
Published Nov 24, 2013
- - - FOR THE DHOKLIS (CHICKPEA DUMPLINGS)
- 1 Cup Besan (chickpea flour)
- 1 tsp. Oil
- 1/4 Tsp. Turmeric
- 1/4 Tsp. Red chilli pd.
- 1/4 Tsp. Coriander cumin pd.
- 1/2 Tsp. Salt
- 1/4 Tsp. Asafoetida
- 2 Tbsp. Chopped cilantro
- 1/4 Tsp. Eno fruit salt
- 1 Small Dudhi (bottle gourd)
- - - FOR THE GRAVY:
- 2 Tbsp. Oil
- 1/2 Tsp. Cumin seeds
- 1/2 Tsp. Mustard seeds
- 1/2 Tsp. Asafoetida
- 1 Tbsp. Finely chopped garlic
- 1/2 Tsp. Ginger chopped
- 3 Tomatoes
- 1/2 Tsp. Turmeric
- 1 Tsp. Red chilli do.
- 3/4 Cup Yogurt
- 2 Cups Water (or more as needed)
- 1 Tbsp. Besan (chickpea flour)
- 1/2 Tsp. Salt (or to taste)
- 2 Tbsp. Chopped cilantro for garnish
- 1/2 Tsp. Garam masala (optional)
- Grate bottle gourd and add chickpea flour, chilli pd., turmeric, salt, cumin, coriander pd. & asafoetida. Mix well. Add a little water only if necessary to make a thick batter consistency (the grated bottle gourd should have sufficient water). Mix in the fruit salt & oil & pour this batter into a greased plate.
- Put water for boiling in a steamer. Put the plate of batter in the steamer & steam cook for about 20 to 25 minutes. Cool & cut the Dhoklis into squares.
- Heat a tbsp. of oil in a pan & shallow fry the Dhoklis on both sides. Take out of the pan & keep aside.
- Heat oil in the same pan, add cumin & mustard seeds. When the seeds splutter, add 1 tbsp. red chilli pd., turmeric, asafoetida & garlic purée. Stir constantly & add the chopped tomatoes & salt to taste. Cook about 5 minutes until the tomatoes are well blended.
- Meanwhile, add a tbsp.besan (chickpea flour) & some water to the yogurt & blend well.
- After 5 minutes, add the yogurt besan combined buttermilk to the pan. Stir well & check seasonings.
- Simmer for a few minutes, stirring well & then add the fried Dhoklis (dumplings). Mix well, add garam masala if needed & let it simmer on medium for another 5 minutes. Garnish with cilantro. Serve with rice or roti.
Preparation Time is approximately 20 minutes.
Cooking Time is approximately 20 minutes.