Garlic Eggplant (lehsuni baingan)
Eggplants or Brinjals are found in abundance in India. Every region has its own special ways to cook this vegetable. While the bhartas & bharwan baingan is more popular, this recipe from Gujarat gives this bland vegetable a whole new taste too.
Published Oct 03, 2013
- 2 cups eggplant, diced into 2 inch cubes
- 2 medium tomatoes
- 8-10 cloves garlic
- 2 tsp. chilli pd.
- 1/2 tsp. turmeric
- 1 tsp. salt or to taste
- 1/4 tsp. asafoetida
- 3/4 cup water
- 3 tbsp. oil
- Wash & dice the eggplant & keep aside.
- Heat oil in a pan & add first the minced garlic & then the eggplant. Saute it for about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add salt, lower the flame & cover & cook for about 5 to 6 minutes. Remove the lid , then add the spices & the tomatoes.
- Add a little water (only about 3/4 cup), mix well, cover & cook again for about 10 minutes until the eggplant is fully cooked & the dish looks dry.
- Serve with rotis or khichdi.
Preparation Time is approximately 10 minutes.
Cooking Time is approximately 25 minutes.