Baked Pasta with Spinach & Mushroom
Pasta, the traditional Italian cuisine, infact thier staple is an international favorite now enjoyed in nations across the world. There are over hundreds of kinds of pastas in the world today & there are many different ways of cooking pasta. It is really a simple dish but depending on the way it is made, it can be served as a main course or entree', as an appetizer or as I found out only recently as a dessert even! Pasta is either dry or fresh and usually the main ingredient for making is wheat flour. Pasta has gained immense popularity because it is a very adaptable dish and today different countries of the world have their own variations of making pasta dishes. It can be compared to the noodles used in Asian cooking.
Published Aug 20, 2013
- 2 cups gemelli or any short cut pasta
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tbsp. butter
- 1 tbsp. flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 tsp. grated nutmeg
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup mushrooms, chopped
- 1 bunch fresh spinach leaves, chopped
- 1 tsp. garlic, minced
- 1 cup grated cheese
- 1 tsp. garam masala
- 1/2 tsp. pepper ground
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- Bring water to boil in a large saucepan, add salt & pasta & let it cook for about 7 minutes. Drain the pasta & keep aside.
- Meanwhile, melt half the butter in a pan and fry the minced onion & garlic for a couple of minutes. Add mushroom & chopped spinach along with salt & pepper to taste. Mix well & cook for about 3 to 4 minutes. Take out the veggies into a bowl or plate. Keep aside.
- In the same pan, add a little butter & fry the flour for a couple of minutes. Then gradually add in the milk. Whisk it well. Add the ground nutmeg & garam masala. Let it come to a boil. Now your white sauce is ready.
- Preheat oven to 350 degree Fahrenheit. To assemble, take a glass baking dish & put the cooked pasta into it. Add the cooked spinach & mushroom & mix well. Pour the white sauce all over & then top it with grated cheese of your choice.
- Bake in the oven for 20 minutes. Enjoy!