Baked zucchini casserole is a pretty simple low carb recipe. Just layer a baking dish with zucchini, cheese & top with bread crumbs. Serve it as a main dish on weekdays or as a side dish on occasions & it is always a hit.
Published Dec 14, 2013
- 5 Small Italian Zucchini
- 1 Onion
- 2 Tomatoes
- 1 Tbsp. Garlic minced
- 2 Tsp. Olive oil
- 1 Tbsp. Italian seasonings of choice (oregano, basil, marjoram, parsley, sage, thyme, rosemary etc.)
- 1/4 Tsp. Ground pepper
- 3/4 Tsp. Salt
- 1/4 Tsp. Red pepper flakes
- 3/4 Cup Bread crumbs
- 1 Cup Mix grated cheese (mozzarella, Parmesan)
- Slice zucchini into thin rounds. Chop onions very fine. Cut tomatoes into 4 slices.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Farenheit.
- Heat onion in a pan & sauté onions for about 3 to 4 minutes. Add minced garlic, seasonings, salt & then the tomatoes. Fry for about 5 minutes on medium heat and keep aside.
- Line a square 9" baking dish with 1/3 of the zucchini. Top it with 1/3 of tomato mixture. Top with grated cheese. Continue layering with zucchini, tomato & cheese. Top the casserole with bread crumbs and grated cheese. Sprinkle red pepper flakes all over.
- Bake for about 35 minutes until golden brown.
Preparation Time is approximately 15 minutes.
Cooking Time is approximately 35 minutes.